Monday, November 13, 2006

He did WHAT?!?

It was "one of those" mornings today, and we were running a little late getting out the door for school. I told the kids I'd bring their cold lunch later, so they wouldn't be late.

I went to Chase's school (1st grade) and walked
in the office...and there he was, with a slightly tear-stained face. I
thought he was sick or got hurt. I asked him "what are you doing here, what's the matter, sweetie?" and he just looked down at his lap. The secretary informed me he was sent to the office for misbehavior. He has never been in trouble, and is such a good kid, I was pretty shocked. I
said "why, what happened?" She said "He was disrupting the other students by making jungle noises in the bathroom." And I had to keep from bursting out laughing and saying "He got sent to the office for WHAT?!" The only thing I managed to come up with was "You mean like Tarzan??"

Chase then said with his head down "NO, like a monkey."

I seriously had to contain myself from laughing. The secretary said he
would be going back to class shortly with a note for me to sign tonight
and return to the school tomorrow.

And now I'm contemplating what, if any, punishment is appropriate for his infraction. I think I'm just going to tell him not to do things that might disrupt his classmates, and to make sure it doesn't happen again. I think he was slightly traumatized by having to go in the office. He had a few teardrops on his cheeks.

On the way home, I started questioning my parenting abilities...was I wrong to bring him to the zoo? Have I not been paying enough attention to him? Was it peer pressure? Will he still get into college? Is this just the beginning? What other noises will he be making in the bathroom in the years to come? Did he get this from me?

Oh well, I guess we all have to learn the "don't-make-jungle-noises-in-the-bathroom-when-others-can-hear-you" lesson in life at some point, huh?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment