Friday, December 7, 2007

Stupid Illinois driver

So my friends from Illinois don't get their panties in a bundle, I want to clarify that I'm just saying she had an Illinois license plate on her car. For descriptive purposes only. I could have just as easily said "Stupid Blue Honda Civic driver! (from Illinois;)

Anyway, I was driving to school this morning, and this lady apparently was LOOKING for something on her passenger seat...AS she was driving. She saw the light turn red, and she STOPPED. 20 car lengths behind the car at the red light. Seriously. Foot. Brake. Slam. Of course, me being the wonderful defensive driver I am, I didn't even come close to hitting her. (read: I just got lucky. I was inches from her bumper.)

The pickup truck behind me would have hit me, except he pulled to the left shoulder as HE slammed on his brakes. He would have hit me if there was nowhere for him to pull over.

This woman was completely oblivous to the "situation" she caused behind her. She then slowly proceeded to inch her way forward until she was behind the car stopped at the red light. By then it turned green, and her car didn't move. She was still looking for something. People honked (including me. 2x.)

This particular highway turns to 65mph once you get out of the city. She got past the last stop light, and proceeded to accelerate appropriately. Until she started looking for something again. Down to 45 mph.

Was she in the SLOW right lane? NOPE! Was she in the FAST left lane? NOPE. She was somewhere in-between the two lanes. At least 4 cars honked at her, and a semi did his "HOOONK! HOOOONK!" thing to her. She then was courteous enough to turn on her blinker, and went into the right lane, and sped up to approximently 46 mph.

I managed to manuver around her at this point, and I realized the semi behind her was practically in her back seat because he was tailgating her. When I passed her, I realized she was STILL "looking" for something on her passenger seat, and then she'd look at the road for a second, then back down.

This woman had NO idea anything was "wrong." (Or she simply didn't care) It took 7 people honking at her over a 2 mile stretch of road, AND a super-honk from a semi to clue her in.

At least she used her blinker.

So, my life motto for today is: BE aware of your surroundings! If EVERYONE around you is giving you dirty looks, and making loud noises in your general direction, perhaps you need to change your behavior. OR at least go away.

(Oh, and watch out for Illinois drivers;)

No comments:

Post a Comment