Usually I'm a rule-abiding socially-adjusted human being. Usually.
Today, I was the person everyone hates at the grocery store. Not only did I have too many items for the "15 items or less" aisle...I ALSO forgot my debit card in my car and realized it when the money was due. But enough about my disorganization and inability to get along with others...this blog is about the cashier, not me. :)
I had 17 things. I know exactly how many items were in my cart because as I was heading to check out, I realized the lines were very long and everyone's carts seemed to be overflowing. EXCEPT the 15 items or less aisle was EMPTY...nobody waiting. Cashier standing there looking bored. She looked like she needed something to do.
I maneuvered my cart over to her and said "I have 17 items, is that ok?" She said "NOPE!" I thought she was kidding at first, but the cranky look in her eyes told me she wasn't joking. I said "Are you serious? Nobody is waiting..." She replied "Sorry...rules are rules."
So, I went back to my original line, which had now gotten even longer, and I found myself waiting next to the "boxed food" because the lines were so long they were backing up into the food aisles.
AH HA! A light bulb went off in my head...I took two boxes of mac and cheese out of my cart, put them back on the shelf and proudly maneuvered my 15-item cart to the 15-items-or-less checkout. There still was nobody in the line. I said "OK, now I have 15 items...I put two items back."
She rolled her eyes at me.
Whatever, lady. I have 15 items you can't turn me away now!
I unloaded my 15 items onto the conveyor belt only to find a little bag of cat treats hidden under the lettuce. Oops. I took it out of the cart, and said "Sorry, I guess I had 16 items. I didn't see the little bag of kitty treats"
NO SH*T....she takes the bag of treats and puts them next to the register. I was like "I can't buy those now?" She said "rules are rules."
I said "You have got to be kidding me, seriously, it would have been quicker for you to scan it than turn around and put them behind you..."
At this point there were 3 people behind me in line....none of whom looked amused at my power struggle with the cashier over a 1oz bag of kitty treats.
But then I ultimately looked like a complete moron cause I opened my wallet to pay for the groceries and realized I left my debit card in the car. I had just put $45.10 in my gas tank and apparently forgot to put my debit card back.
She said, as if she was talking to a 2-year-old, "We all have to wait for you now" I almost knocked a small child down as I ran out the door. I ran across the parking lot, grabbed my debit card, and then couldn't get back in the store cause I was trying to go in the "out" door. Luckily I didn't have to wait long before someone came out and I ran in.
I paid for my *15* items and bolted as numerous people looked at me like I should win the idiot of the year award.
My cat doesn't deserve treats anyway, you know, with that whole attacking me thing last week. I got the staples out yesterday.

No comments:
Post a Comment