Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Cool family history...

I've recently been looking into my family tree because I find it fascinating. I've "met" relatives on Facebook...we share the same Great-grandparents and we've been sharing what we know about the family with each other...

This is what I've found so far:

1) My great-grandma was Amelia Bertoldi, and her parents frequently moved between the US and Italy when she was growing up. She stayed behind with her grandparents in Italy. Her dad's name was Giacinto Bertoldi, and her mom's name was Josephine Novello. Josephine's mom (my great-great-great grandma!) was a seamstress. My great-grandma came to the USA when she was 29 years old with her husband Primo Cardin, and 2 children. One of those children was my grandpa.

2) Giacinto Bertoldi (My great-great grandpa) was coppersmith in Italy, by trade. He was
descended from a family of nobles from Caset. His official title was
Honorable Sir Giacinto Bertoldi, son of Peter.

2) My great-grandpa was Primo Cardin, my grandpa was born in Italy and given the name "Gerardo", when they came to the US, they shortened it to "Gerard," and he later changed his name to "Gerald."

3) According to records, my great-grandparents were detained along with my grandpa when they migrated here while awaiting the arrival of Giacinto
Bertoldi to pick them up I guess; it just says "Primo Cardin, wife and 2 children".

4) My great-grandpa Primo had a twin brother named "Secondo," but he died shortly after birth. (Primo and Secondo are "first" and "second" in italian...) He also had a sister named Virginia. Virginia never moved to the USA.

5) My Great-Grandpa Primo mom's name was Guiseppina Marchiori. (she would have been my great-great grandma!)

I think this is so interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment