Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I can (not really) fix stuff!

I feel mildly incompetent as a strong, independent woman right now.

I should have stuck to homework and cleaning this morning.

Instead, I also tried to "fix things" in my house.

1) Kitchen faucet
It lost its head (or whatever the thing is called where the water comes out) and when the head fell off, the black rubber thingy went down the drain. It became a victim of the garbage disposal cause I wasn't about to stick my hand in there. So, I bought a new one at WalMart weeks ago, and it sat on my counter as I waited for it to magically appear on the faucet. Today, I decided to put it on myself.
Good news: The faucet works and the head thing I put on doesn't come flying off when the water is turned on.
Bad news: The water squirts at the window and walls (and at me) instead of the bottom of the sink.

2) Downstairs bathroom sink
It hasn't been draining lately. I bought this stuff called CLR "plumber in a can" and it is pressurized and you press it down on the drain, and it claims to "unclog drains" while being environmentally friendly (ie, no harsh chemicals). I was supposed to plug the overflow drain hole at the top of the sink before using the pressurized CLR container. I didn't have anything handy to plug the overflow drain, and I thought not plugging it would simply result in a little less oomph for the drain pipe, and if it didn't work when I didn't plug the overflow drain, I would use it again (up to 15 uses per can!) and plug the little hole next time. (My stellar critical thinking skills in use there)

Good news:
My bathroom sink drains wonderfully now.

Bad news:
Don't underestimate little cans! The reason why it works so well and why the little overflow drain has to be plugged/covered is because the pipe comes unclogged in the same sort of fashion you'd expect if you threw a stick of dynamite down the drain. I now have drain gunk (and little hairs and stuff) STUCK to my mirror, my walls, and a few specks on my ceiling. No kidding. I pushed the little can down over the drain....and BOOM! I was like "WTF was that?" and realized I was covered in gunk, as was the rest of my bathroom. It just came SHOOTING out the little overflow drain plug. Who woulda thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment